Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much do you charge for your services?

A: Our fee depends on the complexity of your case. We charge a competitive rate for the services we provide. It is not possible to quote a fee without more information about what type of case you have.

Q: How long does it take to become divorced?

A: Texas has a 60 day waiting period to finalize a divorce and Arkansas has a 30 day waiting period. These are mandatory waiting limits but the complexity of your case may involve more time.

Q: I have a child with a woman with whom I am not married. What are my rights?

A: If you have fathered a child outside of a marriage, you have very limited rights, even if you are listed on the birth certificate as the father. You will need a court order establishing you as the child’s father in order to maximize your rights of and to that child.

Q: How much child support will I have to pay?

A: Texas has a set percentage of your net income that you pay for each child. One child is 20% of your net income and each additional child adds another 5%. Arkansas does not have set percentages but is based on a chart established by the Arkansas Supreme Court. However, the Arkansas rate is similar to the rates in Texas.

Q: How do I gain rights to a grandchild?

A: Arkansas and Texas have very specific laws regarding grandparent custody and possession or access to a grandchild. Due to the complexity of the issues involved in a grandparent seeking rights toward a grandchild we recommend that you contact us directly to discuss this issue.

Q: My parents are getting older and I have to take care of them more and more. What can I do legally to protect them and myself?

A: This is getting very common. At a minimum, your elderly relatives should have an up to date will, power of attorney, and a living will.

Q: I have been sued for custody of my child, what do I do now?

A: The laws in Texas and Arkansas mandate that you respond to a lawsuit within a specific time frame, most likely 20 days. Your failure to respond could result in a judgment being issues against you that limit or eliminate your rights and access to your child. If you have been served with a lawsuit, contact an attorney of your choice to set up an appointment immediately.

Q: What is a step-parent adoption?

A: A step parent adoption is simply when your spouse adopts a child you have from another relationship. However, you have to terminate the parental rights of the natural mother/father before your spouse can adopt your child. You can do the termination and adoption in one proceeding.

Q: How do I change my name or the name of my child?

A: A wife can change her name through the process of a divorce. It is a simple procedure and costs nothing more than the divorce itself. To change your name without a divorce, or to change a child’s name, you will need to file a separate action.

Q: A relative died and I was named as the executor/executrix of the estate, what does that mean?

A: This means you have a duty to distribute the estate of the deceased to those that are entitled to receive a portion of the estate. You would also ensure all bills are paid prior to distribution. You can excuse yourself from this obligation if you like; it is not a mandatory position.

Contact Us Today for More Information!